Turtle Brownies are my absolute favorite type of brownies (EVER)! I am extremely addicted to pretty much any type of sweet that contains chocolate and caramel. In my mind, the two just compliment each other soo much and they make me (and my TUMMY) super duper happy. These are so easy to make and only contain 6-7 ingredients–depending on if you want to include pecans, which you probably should to make them official ‘turtle brownies.’
I REALLY dislike box cake mixes, unless used to create a dessert other than its intended one. This recipe calls for a box of German Chocolate Cake Mix. I have found that it works better than any of the brownie/cake recipes I normally use. German chocolate is exactly the right chocolate for this recipe.
Here is what you need:
- 1 box of German Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk (divided)
- 3/4 cup butter (melted)
- 1 bag of caramels
- 1 cup semi-sweet mini morsels
- 1/2 cup pecans (optional)
To make these little turtles:
1. Preheat oven to 325
2. Combine cake mix with 1/4 cup of evaporated milk and butter
3. Spread 1/2 of the batter into a greased 13×9 casserole dish
4. Bake for 15 minutes
5. Cool for 15 minutes-while you it is cooling, unwrap caramels and melt down with remaining 1/4 cup of evaporated milk over medium heat, stirring constantly.
6. After 15 minutes, pour melted caramel sauce over the batter and sprinkle the chocolate chips and pecans evenly on top.
7. Lightly smash individual spoonfuls of remaining batter on top–or use your fingers BUT don’t forget to wash your hands!!
8. Bake for an additional 15 minutes, then allow to cool completely (typically overnight) before attempting to cut into squares.
9. ENJOY! and be careful–it is SOOO easy to eat like an entire tray of these. They are SO good!