For my friend’s birthday, I decided to try making these beautiful brownies. She loves anything sweet, but she REALLY loves red velvet and cheesecake. How could combining the two be bad?! I have seen these brownies all over Pinterest and FoodGawker, so I HAD to try them.
I found a recipe I really liked over at doughmesstic.com, and adapted it.
Here’s what you need to make red velvet cheesecake brownies:
- 10 tbsp butter
- 3 oz semi-sweet chocolate (chopped)
- 1 1/2 cp light brown sugar
- 2 lg eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Red Food Coloring
- 3/4 cp flour
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
For the cheesecake mixture:
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cp granulated sugar
- 1 lg egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp milk or cream (optional)
To make these pretty/yummy brownies:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line an 8×8 square brownie pan with parchment paper.
2. In a small saucepan melt the butter and chocolate until smooth and allow to cool.
3. In a medium bowl, beat eggs, vanilla, sugar. Add red food coloring until it is the red color you desire. Slowly add the chocolate/butter mixture.
4. In a small bowl, sift together cocoa, salt, and flour. Next, stir this into the rest of the batter. Do not overmix. You want this to be slightly lumpy.
5. Pour the batter into the baking pan.
For the Cheesecake Mixture:
6. Beat the cream cheese in a medium bowl until it is smooth.
7. Add 1/2 cp sugar, egg, and vanilla and beat until smooth and creamy. Add a tbsp of milk/cream for a creamier cheesecake.
8. Pour over the top of the brownie batter and use a knife or sharp object to push down into brownie batter and lift to swirl the two together.
9. Bake for 40 -45 minutes or until set. Insert a knife into the middle, it should come out clean, and light brown around the edges. You want the top to jiggle a little when you wiggle it. 🙂 Cool completely before serving, or chill in the refrigerator.
Top with strawberries for additional flavor!!