Pumpkin Cupcakes with Pumpkin Maple Cream Cheese Icing
I absolutely love Fall and fall baking ingredients!! Fall and winter are hands down the BEST seasons for baking! There are so many great shapes of cookies, so many delicious pies, creative (and spooky) desserts this time of year.
For work, I decided to of course use pumpkin because it would be wrong to not bake something involving pumpkin in October. These turned out so deliciously. You can eat them with or without the icing. So, I guess they could be pumpkin muffins too! However, I recommend not skipping over the icing. The icing was a maple/pumpkin cream cheese icing and it was SOOO good. We used the leftover icing on cinnamon rolls and it was so yummy!
Here is what you need to make 24 cupcakes:
For Pumpkin Cupcakes:
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 cup softened butter (1 & 1/2 sticks)
- 2 cups brown sugar (lightly packed)
- 3 eggs
- 15 oz canned pumpkin (divided)
- 1 cup milk
For Maple Pumpkin Icing:
- 1 1/2 blocks cream cheese
- 3/4 cup softened butter (1 1/2 sticks butter)
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Remaining pumpkin
1. Preheat oven to 350 and line a muffin pan with liners and lightly spray with crisco.
2. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg until well combined.
3. Make sure butter is thoroughly softened. Then cream together butter and brown sugar.
4. Lightly beat eggs and then add to butter/sugar mixture.
5. Next, measure out 1 1/2 cups of pumpkin and add to the wet ingredients.
6. Once well combined, add dry ingredients to wet ingredients alternately with milk.
7. Pour evenly into muffin pan, about 2/3 full. Bake for 17-22 minutes. Test using the toothpick method. Let sit in muffin pan for a few minutes before removing and putting on cooling rack.
For the icing:
8. Cream together the cream cheese and butter.
9. Slowly add the maple syrup, remaining pumpkin (should be around 1/2 cup, but it doesn’t matter it is just to add some of that flavor).
10. Carefully add in the powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
11. Add a dash of any spices used in the cupcakes, or sprinkle a little on top for decoration. (optional)