Hiiii guys! Apparently, I was a little late on the carmelitas craze. However, I think it is never too late to enjoy these delicious little things! I also decided to make a vegan version, which I will post separately here. I adapted this recipe from Lulu the Baker’s recipe.
Here is what you need:
- 64 unwrapped caramel squares
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 sticks butter softened
- 3 cups brown sugar, packed
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups oats
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-12 oz bag of semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup pecans (optional)
To make them:
1. Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 13×9 casserole dish.
2. Cream together butter and brown sugar.
3. Combine flour, oats, baking soda, and salt together in a medium bowl.
4. Add flour mixture to butter/brown sugar mixture, and mix by hand (or on a low speed) until well combined.
5. Scoop 1/2 the mixture into the 13×9 and spread flat against the bottom of the pan. You can also make edges for a little bit of a crust if you want.
6. Bake for 10 minutes and remove from the oven.
7. While that is baking, melt down caramels in the evaporated milk on the stove on med0low heat and stirring constantly. Remove from heat once caramels are completely melted and you have a thick sauce.
8. Once the pan is out of the oven and your crust is set, sprinkle chocolate chips (and pecans if you used pecans) evenly over the crust.
9. Pour the carmel sauce over the chocolate chips/nuts.
10. Sprinkle remaining crumb mixture over the top and put back into the oven for 15-20 minutes.
11. Remove from oven once the edges are golden brown, and allow to cool completely before cutting. I threw mine into the freezer for about an hour. They cut easily after that. I also stored mine in the freezer because I love frozen treats!!